During our vacation, I started a list of items that I wanted to address on the boat. When I am on the boat for days at time, The unfinished or poorly maintained parts of the boat start to wear on me. I am far from a perfectionist, but there are definitely some items on the boat that could be improved.
My first project involved building a cover for the wiring and antenna cable that runs along the compression post. I seem to recall this being left undone when we installed the table and cabinet on the saloon bulkhead.
Some time ago Melissa found some teak battens by the marina gate. Those turned out to be perfect for this project. I mounted them on a one by four and attached the whole assembly to the compression post via some nifty hinges from Home Depot.
With the hinges installed, this is essentially a very skinny door. This allows me to access the cables for maintenance. Maybe I could store some very skinny item inside.
Besides the hinges, I had all of the materials on hand which greatly appeals to my inner cheapskate. And it feels really good to have that project taken off the list.